Based on millions of users across the world, we picked the best Indian restaurant near you along with two runners up.
(Using detected location of Southern Pines, NC 28387)
Popular Indian Restaurant Dishes
India has an amazing array of sub cultures each with their own cuisine. In the US we mostly find food from the Punjab region, but you may have other options near you. Here are a few of the most popular Indian dishes you’re likely to find at an Indian restaurant near you
- Tandoori Chicken – Chicken marinated with chili and yogurt that is roasted in a tandoor oven. Usually served on the bone.
- Butter Chicken – Also called murgh makhani, this is a curry with tomato, butter and cream. The chicken is chopped tandoori chicken.
- Chicken Tikka Masala – Similar to butter chicken but with more tomato.
- Aloo gobi – Fried potatoes and cauliflower with spices.
- Chana masala – Spicy chickpea stew
- Palak paneer – Pureed spinach with chunks of paneer cheese. This is my personal favorite!
- Vindaloo – Usually chicken or lamb in a spicy tomato and chili sauce
- Naan – Flat bread baked by sticking it to the side of a hot tandoor oven
My Favorite Dal Recipe
Dal is so comforting and tasty. Here is a favorite recipe of mine…
- 2 cups red lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 8 cups water
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 2 green chiles, minced (optional)
- 1 tbsp Indian curry powder
- 1 tsp whole mustard seed
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp salt, more to taste
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes, or 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
Cook the lentils in water (nothing else) until done. About 20 min on the stove or 5 min in a pressure cooker. Fry the rest of the ingredients except the tomatoes until the onions soften. Add the tomatoes and cook another 5 min. Add to the lentils and cook for 5 more minutes. Enjoy!
Most Suggestions Near You
Best Indian Restaurant Near You
Best Veggie Food Near You
Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Near You