post Category: Uncategorized — kai @ 11:42 am — post Comments (18)

I’ll get right to the point.  My wife hates fish but she ate these salmon patties that I came up with.  I was shocked.  I need this recipe immortalized here so I can make it again.  They’re low carb too and really cheap to make!

Salmon Patties

• 1 can of salmon, drained
  • 1T chopped parsley (fresh or dried)
  • 2t herbs de provence
  • 1t onion powder
  • 3T mayonnaise
  • 2 eggs
  • salt and pepper
  • oil

Mix everything together.  It’s going to seem a little too wet.  Just let it sit for 15min to thicken up.  I measured these out and dropped into a nonstick skillet using a standard ice cream scoop.  It made 7 patties.  I bought the salmon on sale for under $3 for the can.  That probably made these about 50 cents each.  Yikes!  What a bargain!

img_2762

Now, there’s a ton you could do with this recipe.  I’d keep the salmon and eggs but you could go crazy with the rest.  For a more traditional, crab cake-style recipe you could go with Old Bay instead of the herbs de provence.  If you don’t have Old Bay, it’s mainly celery salt with a few other minor seasonings.  I bet a Jamaican jerk seasoning would also be really tasty in this.

I served this with a sauce that didn’t really go that well, but was super tasty.  It was kind of  like a chipotle mayo but with a more subtle and refined flavor from the use of Spanish smoked paprika instead of chipotle.  It would probably be better with something else- not sure what, though.  Maybe someone can figure out what to serve it with:

Pimenton dip

• 3T mayo
  • 2T sour cream
  • 2T cream
  • 1t Spanish smoked paprika
  • 1t onion powder
  • salt and pepper

Mix it up and let sit for 30min for flavors to mingle.  Add more or less cream to change the thickness.

You could make this with ground or canned chipotle and it would be really tasty.  Adjusting ratios of mayo, sour cream and cream to suit the purpose.  More or less cream will make it thicker or thinner.  You could actually use water too.  I just used cream because I had it handy.  This would be awesome with some plain potato chips.

Have fun and let me know if you do something delicious with this.

Horaayy..there are 18 comment(s) for me so far ;)

#1

I love Salmon Cakes, but I can’t believe a non-fish eater could do it. They have a pretty strong smell.

I have added your blog as a link on mine at http://www.cheapfoodhere.com. Let me know if you’re willing to do the same. Thanks!

Ashley

Ashley Haywood wrote on April 19, 2009 - 6:12 am
#2

She pretended they were crab cakes, which she likes! The sauce also helped.

kai wrote on April 19, 2009 - 1:25 pm
#3

I was going to comment on your brown rice post (August 19, 2008) but didn’t know if you would ever see it, or how that works if someone posts a comment on an older post. So I picked the newest one, even though it has nothing to do with brown rice!
I really recommend GBR-germinated brown rice. You soak your brown rice for 16-24 hours, at at least 70 degrees, then cook as normal, but for less time, maybe about the same as white rice. My husband says that it “eats like white rice” and it is definitely more palatable for getting used to brown rice. The thing I noticed is that it smells different when it is soaking and when it is cooking. A very good kind of different. If you research it, you find that GBR actually makes more nutrients to feed the germinating plant, and it is therefore much better for you even than unsoaked brown rice. One try, and I was personally hooked. You just need to plan ahead by a day when you want to serve rice.

Pam wrote on April 20, 2009 - 2:36 pm
#4

Thanks for that really cool tip. I have never heard of GBR but will definitely try it! I’ll go ahead and add that part of your note to the brown rice post. I do see any comments made on any posts no matter how old they are so feel free to comment on any post at any time.

kai wrote on April 20, 2009 - 10:54 pm
#5

I make a sauce that we use for broiled salmon or tuna and it might be good on salmon patties as well. I use 4 or 5 T butter or margerine, 2 T yellow mustard and either fresh chopped dill or a dill mix I buy from Pampered Chef. My nieces even like it on potatoes and vegetables. I just put in the microwave, stir and serve. Amnounts can be adjusted for personal taste or number of people to be served.

Barbara wrote on July 14, 2009 - 9:32 pm
#6

I think it’s great and she’s lucky – it’s rare for a man to cook around here….

Judy wrote on October 28, 2009 - 9:53 am
#7

Great recipe, and also great photo! I’m hoping to get your permission to use this photo to illustrate my sister’s recipe in a family cookbook! (Am using an online software to make hard copies for 10 – 20 family members) Assuming it’s ok, how would you like the attribution to appear?

Mary Panke wrote on January 16, 2010 - 2:50 pm
#8

Please feel free to use the photo. You can just say that it came from http://www.frugalcooking.com.

kai wrote on January 18, 2010 - 10:49 am
#9

I think your sauce would be good mixed with finely sliced cucumbers (as in French concombres a la creme) or served with hot cooked potatoes or potato pancakes.

Faye wrote on February 22, 2011 - 10:29 pm
#10

[...] Dinner-Salmon Patties, green salad [...]

Halal and Healthy « wrote on March 7, 2011 - 7:14 am
#11

[...] Dinner-Salmon Patties, green salad [...]

Common Cents Mom » Halal and Healthy wrote on September 16, 2011 - 4:54 pm
#12

My daughter and I make it a point to cook dinner on a daily basis (or as near as we can get). It’s a very important part of our schedule, and this recipe was a GREAT dinner! Filed away in the food bank, for sure. Thank you!

Matt

Matt Kish wrote on September 19, 2011 - 8:51 pm
#13

umm, so what are the preparation instructions, like dont u have to bake it and at wat temp? etc?
please msg ASAP

Piglet wrote on December 11, 2011 - 8:23 pm
#14

Sorry, I guess I wasn’t clear. You should fry them in a skillet on medium heat for about 8min per side. I use a cast iron skillet for most things like this but a non-stick pan would also work well. You could certainly bake these too. It would probably take 20min at 375F.

kai wrote on December 12, 2011 - 6:26 am
#15

gret thing about putting fish in cakes it takes away alot of the smell and fishy taste by using bread, mayo and seasonings. Especially using a dash of lime butter drizzled on the finished cakes

glen wrote on January 30, 2012 - 1:17 pm
#16

My mom used to make salmon patties for dinner and we would eat them with grits and syrup. I know it sounds kinda’ crazy but they were really good.

Lisa wrote on September 22, 2012 - 8:56 pm
#17

Delightful

Tlheresa wrote on October 21, 2012 - 4:06 pm
#18

I make salmon cakes alot, just adding some onion, salt & pepper & one egg mixed with some bread crumbs & milk. Then I serve them with a spoonful of vinegar pour over them.

Lisa J wrote on November 11, 2012 - 6:33 pm
You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Write Your Comment

You should have a name, right?
Your email address, I promised I won't tell it to anyone.
If you have a web site or blog, you can type the URL right here.
This is where you type your comments.
Remember my information for the next time I visit.